Arizona Guide By Your Side™

What is Guide By Your Side?

Guide By Your Side (GBYS) is a program for families with children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. GBYS gives families who recently learned of their child’s hearing loss an opportunity to meet with another parent of a deaf or hard of hearing child, called a Parent Guide. The program is FREE to all Arizona families.

Why a Parent Guide?

Only another parent knows what it is like to hear the words “your child has a hearing loss.” Families may experience a range of feelings and have many questions, and Parent Guides understand. They are trained to provide emotional and unbiased informational support. We have Parent Guides all over the state who represent a full range of hearing loss experiences and are ready to help.

Why a Deaf or Hard of Hearing (DHH) Guide?

This is an opportunity for families to meet Deaf and Hard of Hearing adults at any time throughout their journey. This may allow those families to gain exposure to the diverse community of Deaf and Hard of Hearing adults and Deaf and Hard of Hearing professionals, learn about their life experiences and provide a look into what the future may hold for their children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. 

What does GBYS offer?

  • Unbiased information about communication opportunities
  • An ongoing supportive relationship with another parent of a child who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing
  • Answers to questions and information about local, statewide and national resources
  • Collaboration with service providers
  • Information about other parent support opportunities
  • Continuity of care after Early Intervention

What parents are saying…

“Finally, someone understood what I was feeling because she’d felt this way, too. After I met Susan, I just started reconnecting to the world again.”

“This program is the best resource!”

“Talking to another parent who’s ‘been there’ is very helpful.”

How Can I sign Up?

If you are a PARENT and would like to request a Parent Guide or DHH Guide for yourself, you can do so by completing our online form: